Thursday, October 22, 2009

If I am Married to God, how healthy is our marriage?

This is inspired by a Midweek lesson by Corey Graham, me reading the Victory of Surrender by Gordon Ferguson, and a D-time with Corrie McClary...thanks Corey, Corrie, and Gordon.

If you are a Christian/Disciple of God then you are to be married to Him.

How is your marriage?

Are you faithful, or are you cheating on God with sins you can't let go of?

Do you pray to him every day and think about him in the morning when you wake up, or are you sleeping in separate rooms? Have you thought about divorcing God altogether?

Divorce is a strong word- lack of commitment, inability to manage or resolve conflict. How quickly do we jump to wanting a divorce when things are not going well.

Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment not something you can throw away because it gets hard. Have you fought and struggled with your sin to the point of bloodshed? Most of us have not, we just see something that looks easier and run to it. Let me tell you why its easy, because it is empty and worthless. Though a temporary gratification is not difficult to gain, the wounds that are created are not easily bandaged. Our hearts long for a true satiation not found apart from our heavenly father.

Are you having one night stands with sin? Every time you do I guarantee it will get easier to do.

Has God ever cheated on you? Are you blaming him for things that are really your flaws?

Are you confessing sin, or are you nurturing it and keeping it in a glass jar on your nightstand, can't tell anyone about that, it is too embarrassing to admit I need God and other people to help me. WHO CARES WHAT PEOPLE THINK? If you don't have friends you can be honest with then you don't really have a relationship with them do you? I am convinced that I am to please God.

Make it a habit to be humble and repent, when that becomes more of a habit than your sin, your heart will become softer.

As a married man you do not live like you did when you were single, you do have to say no to somethings, including yourself and selfishness. It requires sacrifice, listening, special times, being thoughtful of what Gods thoughts would be in the situation, because the two have become one.

Do you love God like Jesus loved the church, that is what we are commanded

We are to present ourselves as Faithful, holy and blameless to God.

When you are in love with someone is that not always what your conversation turns to? How often do you make it a point to talk about God?

Romans 8:5-8 you cannot submit to God if you are consumed by something not Godly

What are you addicted to that is getting in Gods way. Addiction leaves no room for anyone but you, friends that want to help, those that love you, people you avoid when you know you need to hear the truth but do not desire it.

It is easy to see what is right for you, but it is harder to get your heart there, you need to pray and ask God for help.

I fall again and again, but as long as you have not quit fighting you have not failed.

A woman is like a rose, take care of her and she will blossom, if you don't she will wither.

It is the same with our walk with God. What are you feeding? Your selfishness, your pride, your addiction, your worry...

Or your faith, your surrender in someone much bigger than you who loves you despite your faults and shortcomings...

Have some special time with God this weekend, get away, have a retreat from the things that distract you and focus on your partner, God. Nurture your relationship and remember what is important is the things that are everlasting.

2 Timothy 1:
Encouragement to Be Faithful
3I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 5I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. 6For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 8So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. 12That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment