Wednesday, March 28, 2012

No one Expects you to be Perfect

Man I just totally typed this QT out but was logged into a different account, so when it tried to save it, it was gone. Boo
Anyways!
What I was saying is that I have an unfortunate behavior at times when I sniff any hint of criticism or rejection from anyone close to me of going turtle shell/fetal position with my feelings and I self depricate my self so that no one else can hurt me and I can control it. It is very ugly and it is not Godly.
While this likely stems from my childhood wish to please people around me and always feeling like I never measured up, what I have to remember is as a Disciple of Jesus I am to please God. He himself tells us that we will not be perfect (though we are to try to imitate Jesus)
Romans 3: God’s Faithfulness 1 What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? 2Much in every way! First of all, the Jews have been entrusted with the very words of God. 3 What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? 4 Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written: “So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge.”[a] 5 But if our unrighteousness brings out God’s righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) 6Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world? 7 Someone might argue, “If my falsehood enhances God’s truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?” 8 Why not say—as some slanderously claim that we say—“Let us do evil that good may result”? Their condemnation is just!No One Is Righteous 9 What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”[b]
We will not be perfect! How arrogant to think that we could go through life without being challenged on our character! God does not expect perfection. He does expect us to be many things however.
Open: James 5:13-16 13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
James tells us to Pray if we are in trouble and get help if you are in sin, do you wait until you are downtrodden or are you maintaining a vulnerability with other people consistently? Do you call people and ask them to hold you accountable in your life for areas you are weak? Or does it need to be pried out of you.
Humble:What better example than Jesus?
Philippians 2:
1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature[a] God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature[b] of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
A pity party is definitely a selfish and immature way to pretty much avoid dealing with the areas you are falling short in. If we are in touch with God we realize that we need help. If we are considering others better than ourselves it would only make sense to ask them what they see and when challenged be grateful for their help. Knowing that when we are weak we have room to grow and not depend on ourselves but our love for God.
2 Corinthians 12:10New International Version (NIV)10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Does God have to bring you to your knees or are you already there? Do you only pray after you have exhausted everything that you can possibly think of. Or is it a daily practice that you realize you need the Father to survive and not just your own thoughts and wisdom.
When is the last time someone challenged you on your character? Perhaps you walk around with an ora of "I'm Good" or "I'm all set". Is your pride standing in the way of your growth as a child of God? When people challenge you what is your response? It is difficult to Hug a porcupine, meaning that if every time someone approaches you they are poked by your Insecurity and pride it may be difficult for them to want to help you again. Consider not only the words people are saying, but the heart behind them. Is this someone that loves and cares about you and truly knows you? Why would they say something that could potentially upset you?
Proverbs 27:6Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
I know I need people in my life to help me. I am working on letting my guard down. I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment